Healthy eating is an important component of our Balanced Care Method, so we wanted to share a great summer recipe that is not only healthy, but savory and sweet. It is economical and easy to prepare and no specialized cooking equipment is needed so it’s great for inexperienced cooks and busy on-the-go caregivers.
- 1 pound carrots, trimmed, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- Place carrots and salt in a saucepan and cover with water. Simmer carrots over medium heat until cooked through but not mushy, about 20 to 25 minutes. Drain carrots into a colander or strainer and shake lightly to remove excess water.
- Melt butter or margarine in the warm pan. Return carrots to saucepan and add remaining ingredients. Mash thoroughly with a potato masher or small hand-held mixer.
Benefits for Older Adults
Any plan for healthy eating must include several servings of fruit and vegetables every day. This applies to everyone, but is especially true for seniors who may not eat as well as they should for financial or other reasons. In summer, carrots are fresh and flavorful with a bright, appealing orange color. They are readily available in grocery and produce stores and generally are priced at less than $2 a pound.
Carrots also contain important nutrients such as beta-carotene and vitamins K and B-6 as well as dietary fiber. They are low in fat and calories and rich in antioxidants. Because the carrots are mashed in this recipe, they are easy to swallow and digest. The honey, lemon and cinnamon add flavor and zip to what might otherwise be a bland dish.
Help with Meal Planning
If your senior parent or loved one needs help with meal planning, grocery shopping, or cooking, don’t hesitate to reach out to the Naples senior home care provider, Home Care Assistance. Our trained caregivers are available 24/7 and can assist with a wide range of daily tasks. Call (239) 449-4701 for a complimentary, no-obligation consultation today.